We recommend you wear your hearing aids in the quiet of your home for a few hours the first day and add an hour a day for each following day. Eventually you will wear your hearing aids most of your waking hours.
Helpful Steps to Learning to Use a Hearing Aid:
- At first, wear your hearing aids in your own home environment while listening to just one person.
- Do not strain to catch every word; even people with normal hearing do not hear every word.
- Practice locating the source of the sound by listening only.
- Listen to something read aloud, “books on tape” are available at your library.
- Gradually increase the number of people with whom you speak and gradually increase the level of noise in situations in which you use your hearing aids.
- Be patient, wearing hearing aids opens a whole new world of hearing.